Playing with KK Glue and embossing pads and pen . . . and stencils . . . and . .

KK Glue 'anchored' to space dyed S80 (pelmet Vilene) with embossing stamp pad sticky stuff, 
then foiled with transfer foil after fixing.

Have had a great day today. I met my dear friend Diana Wright this morning for a long, chatty coffee session. Diana lives in Devon so I don't get to see her very often, she was in Brighton visiting family. Diana is co-ordinating my 'tour' of Devon and Cornwall next April/May. Being the vice president of the West Country Embroiderers, Diana knows just about everyone in that area.
It was soooo good to see you Diana - I know you will be reading this.

Once back home I felt a bit creative so decided to have a play for a few hours instead of clearing up my house - I know - I need to get it done soon!!!
I have been experimenting with KK Glue on and off for several months now. Checking it is washable with transfer foils. All my tests have worked out well I am very pleased to say.

I have established that the KK Glue works well with stencils . .
 
KK Glue through a stencil and then foiled.

A stencil was laid over this t shirt and KK Glue was lightly sprinkled over the stencil. The stencil was then very carefully lifted off, taking care not to smudge the design. The residue powder can be poured back into the screw top KK Glue container.
Baking parchment was carefully laid over the powdered design, which was then fixed with a hot iron. Once the glue was cold, the baking paper was removed. The fixed glue was then foiled with gold transfer foil with an iron turned down to medium heat, using baking parchment between the foil and the iron. Once cold, the foil was removed to reveal the foiled design. This process is washable up to 30 degrees. 
Bondaweb foiled with the 'negative space' foil.

But the fun doesn't stop there! The foil that was used to foil the stencil design above has the positive design of the stencil removed. This foil (gold) can then be ironed onto Bondaweb. The negative spaces left can then foiled with a contrasting colour foil (purple). Does this make sense?


Close ups of the foil on Bondaweb - this again is washable up to 30 degrees.

The next thing to try was creating positive designs with KK Glue. This time I used a wooden printing block with an embossing stamp pad.

 Purple and pink leaves printed with acrylic paint. The silver leaves are foiled KK Glue. The prints are on colour washed newspaper.
 An iron-on interfacing was ironed onto the back of the newspaper to reinforce it for machine stitching.

A close up of the prints and foiled KK Glue.

This is another sample, this time on colour washed S80 (pelmet Vilene). The grey and pink shells are printed with acrylic paint, the silver ones are foiled KK Glue. Back stitch has been added for definition.

 
 
I love back stitch.

So - how to print with KK Glue. If you have ever used glitter with glue - it is the same process. I find this process works better on paper.

 
Embossing pads and pens help embossing powders stick to the surface you are using while you heat gun it.Stamp pads come in many colours and in clear.
It would have been easier for you to see what I was doing if I had used a pad with colour - didn't think about that till it was too late . . .

 
To use the embossing stamp pad with KK Glue, press your printing block firmly onto the stamp pad. Your printing block will have a coating of clear (in this case) 'ink'.

 
Working quickly as the 'ink' dries quite fast, make your prints.

 
Sprinkle KK Glue over the 'prints' and shake off the residue.
This can be returned to the pot.

 
Fix the KK Glue with baking parchment and a hot iron.
The glue will melt.

 
Remove the baking parchment when cold.

 
Lay transfer foil over the glue, then cover with baking parchment and iron on a medium heat.

 
Once cold, remove the baking parchment and transfer foil. The transfer foil should have stuck to the glue.

KK Glue can also be used with embossing pens, this means you draw your own designs or foil your own writing.

 
Draw a design onto paper with an embossing pen - Yes! I know - it's a clear pen!!!

 
Lightly sprinkle KK Glue over the design.

 
Shake off the residue - this can go back in the pot - and then fix with baking parchment and an iron on hot. Once cold - remove the baking parchment.

 
Turn the iron down to medium. Lay transfer foil over your design and then baking parchment on top of that. Iron for a few seconds.

 
Once cold, remove the baking parchment and transfer foil. You will have a foiled design.

All the wooden printing blocks used are from Colouricious.
I use a soft, iron-on interfacing on the back of my paper samples to strengthen them ready for stitch. I now sell this on nid-noi.com. The number is F220.

  As I am talking about sticky foiley things . . I ought to tell you about Sticky Foiley Stuff. I bought a roll of this product when I was in Dublin in November. It is a discontinued fusible web that has filaments running through it to give it strength - this makes it interesting to play with. You can pull it about and layer it as it is 'off the paper' to create great textures that can be transfer foiled.

I couldn't for the life of me think what to call it. So I have called it Sticky, Foiley Stuff! It's £4 a metre 60 cm wide. This is also on the website on the Bondaweb page. www.nid-noi.com

As the Sticky, Foiley Stuff is not on a paper carrier, it is easy to distress, stretch and pull about.

Iron to fix with baking parchment.

When cold, remove baking parchment and foil (using baking parchment).

This texture makes a great background for print and stitch.
I hope all this makes sense, I never know how much detail to go into. I hope I haven't made these processes too complicated - they are very simple. That's the fun of them - if the process is simple you don't really need to think about it and your brain can come out to play . . . . 

x x x

It's Sunday night - I just have time to get this posted and settle down for . . . POLDARK - yeehaa!!!!

I hope you are all having a great Easter - yours in a rush. 

x

Comments

Popular posts

Extreme Surfaces for Stitch - West Dean College July 17 - 20

Zap, Pow, Slash and Burn! Foredown Tower part the first

Hot Textiles at The Bridge, Brighton. 6th and 7th September

The Full Works - 2 day workshop, Solihull Embroiderers Guild 17th & 18th July

More prettys at Bobbys

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot Techniques for jewelled surfaces - part 2

Sussex Quilters - Tinkering with Tyvek workshop 5th June

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot techniques for jewelled surfaces part 3

Registering your interest in my online teaching . . .

Colouricious Textiles Holiday - Block Printing Jaipur. 20th - 30th September 2016